Why should children exercise?
Here are 10 reasons why parents should make this a priority!
- Children who are active 60 minutes per day demonstrate lower rates of obesity.
- Greater rates of activity in children have been associated with higher test scores in reading and math.
- Physical (body) and cognitive (brain) development go hand-in-hand. While this continues for life, this relationship is most critical at a young age. When kids are active, their brain develops, allowing for new types of activity.
- Play-based activity that requires a high degree of sensory input (sight, sound, touch, etc.) helps develop a broad array of skills that make physical activity more enjoyable later in life.
- Frequent physical activity has been associated with improved behavior in the classroom and beyond.
- Active children are more likely to become active adults.
- Aerobic activity has been shown to increase the size of essential brain structures and number of neural connections.
- Frequent activities requiring a high degree of balance and coordination have been associated with improved emotional response.
- Frequent exercise decreases symptoms of depression and anxiety in children.
- Regular exercise with children promotes self-efficacy with regard to health and self-image.
At West Omaha Martial Arts, we believe self defense and physical fitness go hand in hand. Visit us and see how to get started today!